Fetal Heart Program
NorthWest Congenital Heart Care's Fetal Heart Program, is dedicated to providing comprehensive, advanced care for unborn children with a possible heart abnormality. Our pediatric cardiologists use the latest technology to detect heart abnormalities before birth. This provides parents time to prepare and consider treatment options.
NWCHC is accredited in fetal echocardiography by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission. This voluntary accreditation recognizes our excellence in fetal & pediatric care and diagnostic testing. We work closely with each patient’s team of providers - obstetrician, maternal fetal medicine physician, neonatologists, pediatric cardiac surgeons, and other pediatric subspecialists. This team concept helps to ensure the best possible outcome, prior to birth and following delivery, for your child and you.
Our program features a fully digital state-of-the-art lab, providing access to immediate imaging studies and reports. We perform the fetal echo and provide our assessment during your office visit alleviating the prolonged stress with typical wait time for results.
Referral indications include:
- Family history of congenital heart disease
- Abnormal fetal heart rhythm
- Fetal heart abnormalities detected during a routine pregnancy ultrasound scan
- Abnormality of another major organ system in the fetus
- Maternal insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus
- Exposure to some drugs in early pregnancy – for example, some anti-epileptic drugs can damage the developing heart
- Abnormal genetic test results
- In vitro fertilization